Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Word.

Last year my friend Kathy taught me a new way to start each year. Not with a resolution, but with one word. She got the idea from Christine Kane. Click here to read the original post about this concept.

Last December I decided my word for 2010 would be "presence". I am a very future driven person. I'm always planning my life in the future, but rarely experience the present moment in all its glory. The funny thing about 2010 was that I graduated from college, moved across the country, expanded my business, and started a new hobby/passion that will become a business in 2011 (actually, two passions that will become businesses...more on that later though).

So in ALL of the changes that happened in 2010, I was almost forced to be present since I didn't really know what was coming next. It's always important to plan ahead, but this year I feel like I did a lot better with being thankful for literally every moment in my day. After all, the present is a gift;-)

For 2011, I'm choosing a brand new word for a brand new and exciting year.



Mastery. I chose this word because I have a lot going on in my life:-) A lot of different passions and jobs and hobbies. This year I want to work on mastering the things that are most important to me. I want to work towards mastering the art of running a small business! I want to work towards mastering my craft as a photographer. I don't just want to be okay at all the things I do. I want to be the best I can be! So for 2011, I will strive for mastery!

If you're interested in choosing a word for the year instead of doing the normal New Year's Resolution, check out a list of words here. Once you pick one, leave a comment and tell us what it is! Put it on your Facebook, blog about it, or just write about it in a journal. If you don't write it down, it doesn't exist:-)

Happy word picking!

5 comments:

  1. I love this post Karilyn. Cheers to you living your words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eryn! What's your word for the year? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello you.. you might have accidentally inspired me to start a blog. which may or may not be about my word(s)! Thanks lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smiling HUGE! I am so excited for your word this year...remember to let go of the expectations. I hear you already wanting to master certain thing...just let mastery come to you however it gets manifested:) My word is YES:)

    ReplyDelete